I hate work parties. I’d rather work. It’s not that I’m a scrooge because I love the holidays. I just love celebrating with family and friends. Perhaps I’ve always been blessed with so many family and friends that “hanging out” with coworkers has never been high (or low) on my list. It’s just another work obligation like sitting in meetings or driving in traffic. Despite my scrooginess I did take some pleasure in watching our teams compete in a snowman building contest. We hired a guy to come in and make snow and there is nothing funnier than a bunch of Arizona natives donning boots, hats, scarves, and gloves to stand in a tiny pile of snow and build a snowman before the 75-degree sun burning down carves right through the snow and converts it into a puddle of dirty water. I was wearing sandals and may have been the most comfortable person there.
Perhaps when it comes to cold I have been jaded for growing up in the arctic tundra of Wisconsin because I think Arizonans have the most bizarre winter habits. As soon as the temperature dips down into the 70s it seems that folks start digging out their great hooded parkas to get ready for the cold spell. Nobody is stuck unprepared when those frosty winter days strike and the temperature drops to the mid-50s.
Not to be unfair, Wisconsinites can be equally strange in their weather perceptions. I remember standing outside waiting for the bus in the dead of winter, in temperatures well into the negative numbers, and there would be some insane group of girls standing there in mini-skirts and unbuttoned coats. When the weather climbed up into the toasty double digits people were already digging out their shorts.
Perhaps when it comes to cold I have been jaded for growing up in the arctic tundra of Wisconsin because I think Arizonans have the most bizarre winter habits. As soon as the temperature dips down into the 70s it seems that folks start digging out their great hooded parkas to get ready for the cold spell. Nobody is stuck unprepared when those frosty winter days strike and the temperature drops to the mid-50s.
Not to be unfair, Wisconsinites can be equally strange in their weather perceptions. I remember standing outside waiting for the bus in the dead of winter, in temperatures well into the negative numbers, and there would be some insane group of girls standing there in mini-skirts and unbuttoned coats. When the weather climbed up into the toasty double digits people were already digging out their shorts.
Most of my team (I think we're missing a designer.)

1 comment:
That's hilarious. You're headed for a White Christmas...the snow should still be here when you come...better leave the sandals at home.
Post a Comment